Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Disaster Relief

What devastation! I got this photo from the website of Mission Aviation Fellowship - a Christian ministry group that flies airplanes to Haiti and other poverty-stricken places.

Words cannot express the struggle and suffering such events bring. I was fortunate (I think) to be in the first search & rescue teams arriving in Miami after Hurricane Andrew back in the early 90s. I was working for Palm Beach County Fire Rescue at the time, and happened to be 'on duty' the night the storm hit. It was a life-changing experience I will never forget.

Now I wish there was a way to help the people of Myanmar. Truth is, the government there is not allowing much aide into the Country. Many people and organizations are on "standby" ready to respond with help. Its a sad situation.

Hey, we've got problems here at home too. Last week many homes and businesses were damaged by flooding in northern Maine. I have notified the Maine Baptist Association Disaster Relief (say THAT 5 times quickly) of our church's willingness to help. We are on "stand-by" there too. I'll keep you posted on that.

No comments: