Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Never have I been SO HAPPY

Never have I been SO HAPPY for presidential 'campaigning' to end. Since I recently returned from vacation where I did not watch, read, or listen to the press, I felt I had some 'catching up' to do before voting ... especially on the local issues and referendums. So I spent considerable time 'online' the last few days - trying to increase my understanding of current issues. In the process I was both overwhelmed and embarrassed.

First, I was overwhelmed by an obvious 'war' in the press. I often hear Christian spokesman complain about a "liberal press". And quite honestly, that label never meant much to me. But at this time something has changed. Fox News (which I have always seen as being balanced in their reporting) seems to be over the top with attacks on liberals. And CNN has nothing good to say about conservatives ... if anything at all. Is this some kind of civil war of words? ... can we even call it "civil"?

Its unfortunate that the proposed policies of both Obama and McCain get lost in the public feuding. The average American is hard-pressed to get straight answers during the race - to understand where the candidates stand on important issues. All reporting of public information seems to be tainted by attacks of the opposition. And who do you believe is telling the truth?

The political rhetoric has become embarrassing. Everybody it seems, is slinging the proverbial "mud". Character attacks are constant, and somehow 'slander' has become accepted in the political arena. Nothing appears to be 'off limits'. I'll show my age here, but what of John F. Kennedy or Ronald Reagan. These great men spent little energy and resources 'bad-mouthing' the opposing candidate. They won an election based on the strength of their ideas and plans for the Country. SO WHAT HAPPENED?

I believe we (as a nation) have moved farther away from our Christian moorings. The Bible - at the very least, teaches people how to value and respect one another. But an American shift in philosophy and stance against religion in the 'public square' seems to be coming around to bite us. I see this as socially destructive ... while some no doubt see it as a good thing.
LORD, HAVE MERCY ON AMERICA ... AGAIN!

No comments: