Sunday, August 10, 2008

Its Hard To Believe















Its hard to believe I will never again go back to this haven in the Virginia mountains . Josey's mother, Helen died in February and her house was sold last month. The last of her furniture is being moved out this week - and that makes it final.

I always cherished our visits with her, and I absolutely LOVED hanging out a her place ... nestled in the most beautiful valley I have ever seen. The natural beauty was something to behold. And it was a very peaceful place. Though she only lived there 8 years (I think), I will always have pleasant thoughts about the times we visited there.

Helen lived in a few other places - all of them reflecting her keen eye for decorating. And they were all in great locations. But there was something very special about the mountain cabin. I remember conversing with Jos about 'why' her mother might want to move to "the middle of nowhere" to live by herself. We were perplexed by the decision ... that is, until we spent some time there.

I don't know what 'exactly' it is about this particular place that evokes powerful feelings in me. I know the view of majestic mountains so near always stirred my soul. But maybe its not REALLY about the place at all. I think 'maybe' its about the strength of the woman whom chose that spot to live out her last few years. Her bravery to face her own mortality was quite remarkable. Helen, YOU WERE TRULY AMAZING!

No comments: